Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Sunny Day in Glasgow Show

Trista and I played with Wolves in the Attic and A Sunny Day in Glasgow tonight at the Vaudeville Mews. It went very well. We actually had a couple of songs to play so we didn't just improvise everything and make noise between half-finished pieces of songs. It was probably the most well attended VM show I have ever played.


On the way in, we stole Wolves in the Attic's parking spot, and then later they announced that it might be their last show as a band, which was kind of sad. I have seen that band play in all sorts of basements and spaces, and they are one of maybe 5 bands that exist in Ames that I care about (which is also sad).


A Sunny Day in Glasgow was...okay. I hate to spit out the whole "they-sound-better-on-the-album" thing, but it is kind of true.

Live music is kind of like headphones for your entire body. So, I was excited for this show because listening to their album, Ashes Grammar, this whole week on my way to work at 7 in the morning made my head swim around in some pond made up of the frozen trees lining the sidewalks on campus, the sun failing to break through the Iowa winter cloud cover, and the wonderful, sky-filled sounds of A Sunny Day in Glasgow flowing between my ears.


Unfortunately, their live drums and guitars tended to drown out the reverbed singing and sunny guitar and synth parts that made their album as good as it was (all 22 songs of it). Either that, or they primarily played new stuff and it is much more guitar-and-drum based, which is entirely possible too.


I don't think I have any more shows scheduled. I'm going to try and finish some of these sample-based songs I have in the works, and I might make a split tape with Trista for SWEAT POWER RECORDS if and when that is created.

Vivian Girls in Grinnell next Saturday, and then I'm going to Portland at the end of the month (which I'm still trying to get work off for).

No comments:

Post a Comment